Thursday 12 April 2018

A new watercolor just completed of a pair of Ladybugs titled "Lady Luck Too"

Have you ever had one of those days when you see something or you go somewhere and the inspiration hits you to paint something?  Well, that's what happened to me today.  This is being done for the Doodlewash April 2018 challenge - paint something you loved as a kid.

I happened to be in the garden at our house and I had a ladybug land on  my arm.  I love ladybugs.  The are so brilliantly colored and those distinctive black spots so perfectly shaped on their backs always amazes me.  

I was told as a child that if one lands on you, you should hold perfectly still, make a wish and then let it fly off and your wish will come true.  LOL, well I am not sure that is true but I still get great pleasure out of them landing on me.

So, long story short, I decided to paint a ladybug (or two) in watercolor.





I have to be honest though, this painting started out as a 5X7 and I hated the bottom two inches of it so much I cut it off to make it a 5X5.  I show it as an example in a 9X9 frame with a mat.  I'm particularly happy with the leaves on this.  I wanted the blue background to be more opaque so I painted it with white gouache and then dropped in indigo and green and let them mix on the painting.  I love the effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment